Saturday, February 27, 2010

Fun With Vowels and Reading



We have two children reading, one to go! I love this stage in their learning. First the recognition of the abc's, next the letter sounds. It all starts out so simply and relaxed. For all three of the kids, the vowel sounds have been the most challenging, especially "e" and "i". I found the idea for this clever, homemade vowel game/exercise somewhere online and so far it has been highly effective. Short vowel words, mostly CVC words, are read out loud and Kayla holds up the vowel card with the matching sound. This has really sharpened her listening skills. I think we'll probably have another week with this activity and then we'll be on our way to reading!

When we first began homeschooling, the thought of teaching reading gave me the most worries, but it turned out to be one of the most natural and easy subjects to teach. I am thankful, however, that none of our children have had any learning challenges in this area. My Mom encouraged me by reminding me that God gave us His Word in written form, so reading must not be that big of a mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...